Holy Trinity Church
Holy Trinity was one of the three medieval parishes in Guildford, and has been linked with St Mary's for more than 300 years. Although it still contains a mediaeval chantry chapel, the current Grade 1 listed building, dating from 1763, is the largest Georgian church in Surrey. The unsupported ceiling is remarkably wide and stunningly lovely, with its gold flowers against a plain painted surface. The church houses the handsome (and slightly gruesome) seventeenth century marble memorial to George Abbot, a famous Guildfordian who ws Archbishop of Canterbury from 1611 to 1633. Other treasures include a "Vinegar Bible" and a memorial to Arthur Onslow, Speaker of the House of Commons in the reign of George II. Holy Trinity has close associations with the Queen's Regiment, and is the civic church for Guildford.
Full description and history of Holy Trinity Church
For a description of the paintings in the apse, click here.
For further information about Archbishop George Abbot click here.
For information on the windows, click here.
For information on the Baptistery, click here
For information on the Clock in Holy Trinity, click here.